Saturday, January 21, 2012

Background Checks and Transcripts -- March 2011

Since I submitted my application online, I received a package in the mail about two days later with fingerprint charts and a form for an FBI background check. It also stated that I should submit all of my transcripts.

I was extremely excited about my application at this point, so I actually completed all of this information the next day! I called a friend to let her know that I would be having my fingerprints taken (I knew it was something she'd want to see...), and headed over to the police department.

Getting fingerprinted there was messy: a nice police officer covered my fingers in ink and held my hand as he ran each one over the right box. It cost $10.

After that, I took my transcripts from Grand Valley and ICU Japan and ran over to SMC, where I filled out a quick form and got a copy of those transcripts as well. I made color copies at the library for about $2 total, filled out the FBI form (name, address, birthday, weight, etc.), and mailed everything in right away!

I was concerned, since submitting my application, about my volunteer experience. I'm not a particularly social person, and volunteering seemed like an awkward and inconsistent affair -- of course I'd never really experienced it much before -- but I figured for the sake of my application I would find some sort of regular volunteer work.

I literally googled "volunteer opportunities in dowagiac," and quickly found a position as a Receptionist at a Salvation Army in Niles! I love paperwork, answering phones, and most of all, sitting down all day! :D

I went in for an interview the last week of February. I was surprised to find that The Salvation Army was not a thrift store, but a church which specializes in social services like helping people with food and paying their bills. Everyone there was kind and patient, and so I started coming in twice a week for three hours a day on March 1st, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment